Hilltop School and Columbian Hall, Lubec, ca. 1910Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
The Hilltop School building at the corner of School and Church streets in Lubec replaced an earlier all-grades school about 1896. This building burned on November 26, 1913. A replacement school building served youngsters through grade 8. Older students attended a new High School on Main Street after it was finished in 1915. Columbian Hall, beyond the school, was used for town meetings, school sports and other functions until about 1977. Lubec Town Hall occupies this old school site and the Town Hall parking lot is on the site of the old Columbian Hall as of 2009.
View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.